Skip to main content

What is wrong with European/German law?!

About two to three times per month, some random business in Europe will come out of the woodwork and e-mail me wanting to use one of my open source software products and say something to the effect of:
Please send me a quote, an agreement, or contract in order to use [open source software product XYZ].
It's open source under an open source software license. In the case of open source CubicleSoft software, I generally offer TWO licenses that you can choose from! Every time I see that type of silly e-mail, I'm reminded of a joke article I read a long time about shooting oneself in the foot with various programming languages that started off with C:
You shoot yourself in the foot.
And ultimately devolved into 370 JCL:
You send your foot down to MIS with a 4000-page document explaining how you want it to be shot. Three years later, your foot comes back having been deep-fried in duck fat.
Trying to communicate that open source software is open source to a business that will only acquire software requiring a quote or a contract is roughly equivalent to:
  • Trying to calmly explain to a small child why playing with knives is a bad idea while they are playing with knives.
  • Getting teeth pulled without painkillers.
  • Dunking your feet in hydrofluoric acid. They were already detached due to sending them down to MIS with one having been returned to you deep-fried!
I've learned to hit delete and just ignore these people. I can't be bothered to care nor have the time to waste on pointless contracts that do nothing but waste everyone's time. But seriously Europe, especially Germany, figure out your legal framework already!

Comments