Skip to main content

Day 1 - SIC 2005

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the Internet at this point. The price for access is a rediculous $9.95 (US) per 24 hours here at the Hyatt. You would think that for about 450+ technical geeks at a single gathering wireless Internet access would be one of those nice convienences they simply give out for free. As it is, I am going to have a heck of a time getting the overhauled Powerpoint presentation onto my main PC. Oh yeah, I changed the Powerpoint after giving a short presentation to a guinea pig audience of people who don't understand the technology. That opened my eyes to the major details I was leaving out.

The Colorado mountains are actually quite lovely this time of year. While Michigan has skiing and stuff up north, I don't get up there very often. Besides too many jokes have been made of "Youppers" (Upper-peninsula). I took some photographs on my way back from visiting some relatives of the mountains and they are quite picturesque.

As to the product I'm demonstrating, well, it has already piqued some interest. People are starting to ask about this product activation system from CubicleSoft. I am going to have to be really careful because Digital River is here. Digital River is an acquiring company of all sorts of products for shareware related ventures. I actually subscribe to one of their services, mostly because I can abuse their bandwidth for almost nothing. Anywho, they apparently bought up a product activation system called Armadillo. A well-known product activation system for being a tough shell to crack (multiple puns intended). My purpose here at SIC (Shareware Industry Conference) 2005 is two-folded. First, to learn a lot about selling software that I probably don't know that I don't know. This is known as an unknown unknown. Second, I am here to advertise the CubicleSoft ShareWrap Product Activation system. This system has one primary feature that is sure to cause a stir: It doesn't phone home. The homepage is here: http://www.ShareWrap.com/

Like the logo? That logo took about 25 hours of CPU time to render 300 dpi images for print logo artwork (yeah, I'll take pictures). It was ray-traced in the latest version of Pov-Ray. Some people have already said it looks like bubble wrap. It is supposed to look like blown glass. I actually saw a glass pitcher that showed me that what Pov-Ray rendered is what it would actually look like in real life (excluding the usual slight imperfections). There is actually a light source inside each letter, which creates the cool "laser" effect on the ground. When FedEx Kinko's printed the banner, the manager said it was the best artwork that had come through in several months. I'm hoping that the banner, logos, artwork, brochures, presentation, and demonstration will help bring me a number of sales tomorrow.

I am probably going to have to borrow a USB key (i.e. The memory keys that act as a hard drive) to get this crazy Powerpoint onto the other machine tomorrow before I go completely nuts. Of course, some people think I am already nuts...including myself.

Comments