Skip to main content

Rubber melts

I discovered today that rubber can melt just sitting in one place and that putting a graphing calculator under running water causes it to stop functioning.

I picked up my calculator today that I've had for forever and my hand stuck to it. Removing my hand from the sticky revealed that the sticky had gotten on my hand. So, I went to the restroom to see if I could do something about it. Then I got back and realized that the sticky was everywhere. So, not thinking clearly, I took the calculator and ran it under water. And soap. Soap seemed pretty effective against the melted rubber pad and the only really good way to remove soap is with running water.

Now each TI-82 graphing calculator that Texas Instruments manufacturers comes with four rubber pads. Only one of the four has melted so far.

I'm letting it air dry for the next few days in the hope that nothing is seriously wrong (i.e. a short). I've never been very good with electronics, but I do know that water doesn't help them any. Given that there wasn't much juice in the batteries in the first place, nothing probably happened.

Oh, and there is no trace of that melted rubber pad left. I accomplished something.

Comments

  1. Often, rubber dissolves when placed in contact with plastic. You can observe a similar phenomenon when you have a laser-printed card placed in the sleeve of your wallet: the printing dissolves into the plastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment